The Postman API Hack: Jan 5-25, 2021
Despite unprecedented circumstances, APIs have continued their spectacular growth throughout 2020 and the momentum is continuing into 2021. Businesses and organizations are finding incredible new and innovative ways to harness the power of APIs every day and by every quantitative measure (number of APIs, number of requests, number of Postman Collections, etc.) APIs are skyrocketing.
Postman’s goal has always been to make it easier for you to work with APIs so that you can create what modern software demands: you can build high-quality APIs, collaborate on API development, secure and govern your APIs, and drive API adoption. With more than 13 million users and 500,000 organizations on the platform, Postman gives you access to the largest API developer community in the world.
Postman public workspaces are the containers for API development allowing you to organize your API work, collaborate with teammates and the developer community where they can comment, watch, and fork the workspace. You can group your projects together with a workspace acting as the single source of truth for related APIs, collections, environments, mocks, monitors, and other platform components.
We challenge you to not just create a Postman public workspace with a Collection of APIs, but build something that is creative, has compelling value to developers, addresses a problem, or has community interest. This is the perfect opportunity to showcase your Postman expertise and build your reputation in the largest API developer community. The challenge is wide open and we can’t wait to see what you can do with APIs.
We have gathered some amazing examples our team has created, please check out our Inspiration page to see what is possible to do with APIs.
Reasons to participate
- Win stunning prizes. $100,000 in cash prizes is up for grabs as well as cool swag that will make your friends jealous.
- Build something that will make other developers' lives easier. With Postman, you can easily make API calls, gather the working requests into a Collection, and share this knowledge with others to make a successful API call even faster.
- Meet developers across the globe. Catch the attention of millions of fellow developers across the globe and collaborate with them.
- Learn something brand-new. Postman’s recently introduced public workspaces will transform how APIs are developed by bringing people together in a single place for a shared interest in a specific set of APIs.
- Elevate your public profile. Build your portfolio of API collections and public workspaces to show to the developer community and potential customers or employers.
- Be part of the Postman Galaxy API Conference. Winners will be announced at Postman Galaxy, the global, virtual API conference.
- Join the hack.
- Sign up for Postman.
- Register for Postman Galaxy to participate.
- Check out our Resources Page.
- Must be an adult where you reside at the time of entry (18 years old, or age of majority where you live).
- The competition welcomes contestants from around the globe. However, individuals or organizations may be disqualified if they are based in a nation, state, province, or territory where U.S. or local law prohibits participating in the competition or receiving a prize. This includes individuals, who are residents of, and organizations domiciled in Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and any other country designated by the United States Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- Participants may compete as individuals or in a team to up five (5) members.
- Teams must be registered and formed on the Postman Devpost Hackathon.
- Employees and former employees of Postman and sponsoring companies are ineligible to compete.
- Affidavit of eligibility, release of liability, and prize acceptance agreement may be required.
Please read the Official Rules for all the details.
- Create a public workspace - Create a public workspace that is useful to other developers, valuable (has business value) and that would have community interest. Going well beyond just a Github repository and showing the value of a workspace to an open community.
- Create a collection - Postman Collections are a group of saved requests you can organize into folders and share with the developer community via Postman public workspaces.
- Have a purpose - Build novel approaches to aggregating many different types of docs, collections, or APIs into a single workspace.
See Project Requirements in Official Rules for more details
Submitting your project on Devpost - A public workspace must be published and submitted on the Devpost website by Jan 25th, 2021 5PM PST to be considered. Submissions to Devpost must include a description, link that is publicly accessible, make sure the workspace is self descriptive if description is not submitted.
Check out our Inspiration page for some creative and useful examples our team has created.
$100,000 in prizes
Intergalactic Grand Prize
A $25,000 USD Grand Prize awarded to the team with the best project.
Andromeda Prize, 2nd Place
A $15,000 USD prize awarded to the team with the 2nd best project.
Nebula Prize, 3rd Place
A $10,000 USD prize awarded to the team with the 3rd best project.
Moonshot Prize, Honorable Mention
A $5,000 USD prize will be awarded to the next ten highest scoring entries that did not win the Grand Prize, Andromeda Prize, or Nebula Prize.
Blastoff Prize (all participants with an eligible submission)
Cool, limited-edition Postman API Hackathon T-shirt (up to 1 per eligible Entrant)
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
AsyncAPI Founder/Director of Engineering, Postman
Software Engineering Manager/Tyler Technologies
Has a purpose
Build something that will make developers’ lives easier.
Includes how well the workspace integrates a number of components showcasing your knowledge of Postman. Examples of the components: OpenAPI, Collections, Environments, Monitors, and Mock Servers. The more sophisticated the workspace, the better.
The workspace is unique and cool, and something Postman or the community finds interesting.